Di Bruno Bros. is hiring an Executive Sous Chef to work in our Rittenhouse location in a hybrid role managing culinary operations for Alimentari, our second story Cafe / Wine Bar and for our Rittenhouse store. This is a unique and exciting opportunity for a strong culinary leader to gain experience in both restaurant and retail environments! The Executive Sous Chef will report to our Managing Director of Culinary and will be a valued member of the management team for our Rittenhouse store and our new upstairs restaurant, Alimentari. Apply here, or send your resume to [email protected] for immediate consideration.
- Responsible for overall direction, coordination, management, leadership of staff and financial results (labor & food costs specifically) for Alimentari
- Develop and implement all offerings and menus for Alimentari
- Ensure culinary integrity and quality control for Di Bruno Bros. Rittenhouse store & Alimentari.
- Liaise with the Commissary team to ensure product quality for our Prepared Foods, Gourmet Grab & Go, and all other prepared foods in the store.
- Set standards and ensure they are met for commissary foods, including food safety, presentation, and waste.
- Hire, train and mentor both retail and BOH staff.
- Schedule BOH staff to ensure high efficiency, labor within budget and a timely check out for guests.
- Manage inventory control and ordering food/supplies for Alimentari.
- Control food costs and continuously improve gross profit for the restaurant by establishing purchasing specifications, storeroom requisition systems, product storage requirements, standardization recipes and waste control procedures.
- Monitor department budgets and payroll including COG, labor and expenses
- Select and develop standardized production recipes and portion specifications
- Develop new recipes in accordance with the philosophies and standards of Di Bruno Bros.
- Maintain open communication and partnership with Commissary to address product quality, visual appearance and quantity concerns
- Conduct continuous daily inspections and testing of all food products to ensure that Company standards of uniformity and quality are met
- Ensure that all federal, state, local and Company regulations and standards for product freshness, safety, refrigeration, sanitation and weights and measures are met.
- Prepare operational reports and analysis setting forth progress and adverse trends and make appropriate recommendations
- Document Standard Operating Procedures
- Bachelor’s Degree in Culinary Arts or Sciences preferred
- 5+ years of experience in culinary operations, including P&L responsibility.
- Excellent leadership, organizational and communications skills
- Experience with cooking, menu development and pricing and development of culinary team.
- Understanding of prepared retail foods handling, including cold chain compliance and hot food handling.
- Proficiency with automated reporting systems including, but not limited to, inventory, food cost, scheduling, time and attendance, gross margin and labor. (Aloha and ScanMaster experience is a plus)
- Ability to manage in a diverse environment with focus on product consistency.
- Ability to communicate and delegate as needed with customers , superiors, peers and subordinates.
- Ability to effectively manage a department, train and cross-train staff.
- Ability to work varied hours/days as dictated by business.
Di Bruno Bros. is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Competitive Salary, Performance Bonus, Health, Vision & Dental Benefits, 401K
Part of Di Bruno Bros.
The Italian translation of 'Alimentari' is "a small neighborhood food store or mini supermarket, a neighborhood gathering place, that provides delicious ready-to-eat food and small meals in a grocery shop setting."
Since 1939, we've prided ourselves on bringing amazing food to the city of Philadelphia and drawing food lovers together in our ‘home.’ It is with great joy that we can now explore and enjoy the finest delicacies together at Alimentari.
A seat at Alimentari is a seat at our family table. Here, we slow down, clink a glass, and savor each plate with a passion. Alimentari means "to nourish." Our goal is to nourish the appetite of our guests with a unique, casual dining experience of small plates, cheese & charcuterie, and Pizza alla Roma, and nourish their spirits with seasonally-flavored Aperol spritz, creative cocktails, local beers and exclusive wines. Good food and camaraderie, it's a simple combination that makes a meal that much more delicious. Visit us upstairs at our Rittenhouse location for the full Di Bruno Bros. experience, where you can explore and taste the culinary discoveries we're so excited to share.
Alimentari's menu is crafted from our curated collection of food finds from around the world, most of which you can find just one floor down at our legendary Center City store. You can taste cheeses straight from the farm, encounter new ways to use our in-house staples, sip on your favorite beverage, or have a slice of pizza just like the Romans do. Celebrate the things that make life worth living, good food and good people. Because 'la vita è bella'.