Part-time (approximately 6-hours per week and able to pick up more shifts as needed.), making a daily difference to families – join us as a new Assistant Chef at Ronald McDonald House Charities of Chicagoland & Northwest Indiana! RMHC-CNI provides a place to stay and healthy meals to families with hospitalized children so they can get better together in a comfortable, welcoming space. Our new Assistant Chef at the Ronald McDonald House near Lurie Children’s Hospital will work with the House Chef to deliver the daily meal experience for up to 70 families per day, from creating menus to managing volunteer groups assisting in meal preparation. Must be able to work weekends and evenings. Actual hours to be determined by the Chef.
This Assistant Kitchen Manager position is labeled Culinary Hearts Assistant Chef within the Ronald McDonald House near Lurie Children's Hospital.
The Culinary Hearts Assistant Chef assists with managing the daily meal program at our 70 bedroom Ronald McDonald House, serving between 50 and 100 guests per meal. The Assistant Chef plays an instrumental role in helping to ensure meals are well prepared, kitchens and pantries are well stocked, kitchen equipment is clean and well maintained, and volunteer meal groups have a positive Chef-led team building experience.
The kitchen is the heart of our home and the culinary team is the first impression for more than 14,000 volunteers and as such a warm, engaging demeanor with the willingness to provide a high touch, instructor style, team-building type experience for volunteers is a must. The Assistant Chef ensures meals and meal ingredients are prepped, served and stored in a safe manner, following all ServSafe protocols. The Assistant Chef supports the Chef in ensuring compliance with local, state, and federal laws, regulations, safety and sanitation procedures.
Essential Job Functions
- Assist the Chef in executing a safe and healthy food service program with 85% scratch cooking that will deliver quality, variety, service, cleanliness and value for Ronald McDonald House families, volunteers and staff (including internal house events, functions and meetings). This will include two meals daily as well as grab and go items for families.
- Manage and enforce all food safety and sanitation requirements and practices to maintain high standards of quality control, hygiene, health and safety.
- Coordinate and oversee the operation of our kitchen areas.
- Provide direction, coordination and supervision to volunteer meal groups.
- Greet volunteers and orient them to the kitchen. Provide a high quality service experience to both families and volunteers.
- Work alongside the Chef to develop menus utilizing donated foods and purchased product.
- Work alongside the Chef in building relationships with food vendors and suppliers to obtain best prices (reduced or donated).
- Work closely with the Volunteer House Manager and Coordinators to ensure menu options are communicated to potential meal group volunteers.
- Oversee and participate in the safe preparation and serving of food with attention to portion size control and timely service.
- Provide allergy-safe “plating” methods as well as alternative meals (to the main meal) for guests with allergies or dietary restrictions.
- Help maintain an inventory supply system to stock pantries and minimize waste, utilizing first in/first out procedures.
- Help to maintain cleanliness, sanitation and equipment maintenance of kitchen and dining areas.
- Direct kitchen/host volunteer duties for efficient use of labor utilizing daily and weekly cleaning schedules.
- Stay current in the field by pursuing opportunities for professional development.
- Comply with RMHC-CNI policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends. Actual hours are to be determined by the Chef.
- A minimum of 3 years of culinary experience
- Diploma or degree in the culinary field preferred
- Must have food handler and ServSafe certifications
Enforcement Of Safety / Sanitation Standards
Food Handlers Certificate
Food Safety Knowledge
General knife handling
Limited-Service Hotel, Non-Profit, Charity, Event Catering