Cook meats, fish, vegetables, soups and other hot food products as well as prepare and portion food products prior to cooking. Also perform other duties in the areas of food and final plate preparation including plating and garnishing of cooked items and preparing appropriate garnishes for all hot menu item plates.
Activities & Responsibilities
• Promote, work, and act in a manner consistent with the mission of TARTINE MANUFACTORY
• Inspect and clean, and maintain food preparation areas, such as equipment and work surfaces, or serving areas to ensure safe and sanitary food-handling practices.
• Ensure food is stored and cooked at correct temperature by regulating temperature of ovens, broilers, grills, fryers, roasters, and other kitchen equipment.
• Ensure freshness of food and ingredients by checking for quality, keeping track of old and new items, and rotating stock.
• Knows and complies consistently with the restaurant’s standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures.
• Responsible for the quality of products served.
• Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to support a smooth service period.
• Handles, stores, and rotates all food products and supplies according to restaurant policies and procedures.
• Turn or stir foods to ensure even cooking.
• Season and cook food according to recipes or personal judgment and experience.
• Bake, roast, broil, and steam meats, fish, vegetables, and other foods.
• Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients according to recipes or personal judgment, using various kitchen utensils and equipment.
• Portion, arrange, and garnish food, according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications and serve food to servers or guests.
• Observe and test foods to determine if they have been cooked sufficiently, using methods such as tasting, smelling, or piercing them with utensils.
• Follow proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes.
• Wash, peel, cut, and seed fruits and vegetables to prepare them for consumption.
• Carve and trim meats such as beef, veal, ham, pork, and lamb for hot or cold service, or for sandwiches.
• Assist in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed.
• Substitute for or assist other cooks during emergencies or rush periods.
• Close the kitchen following the closing checklist for kitchen stations and assists others in closing the kitchen.
• Attend all scheduled employee meetings and offer suggestions for improvement.
• Coordinate with and assist fellow employees to meet guests’ needs and support the operation of the restaurant.
• Fill in for fellow employees where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations.
***Other Duties Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
• Consult with supervisory staff to plan menus, taking into consideration factors such as costs and special event needs.
• Keep records and accounts.
• Coordinate and supervise work of kitchen staff.
• Prepare relishes and hors d'oeuvres.
• Estimate expected food consumption, requisition or purchase supplies, or procure food from storage.
• Butcher and dress animals, fowl, or shellfish, or cut and bone meat prior to cooking.
• Plan and price menu items.
• Bake breads, rolls, cakes, and pastries.
Tools and Technology
• Commercial use:
• blenders, grinders, slicers
• broilers, convection ovens, deep fryers, griddles, grills, microwave ovens, ranges, rotisseries, steamers
• cutlery (boning knives, chefs' knives, paring knives)
• ovens (conveyor ovens, rotating rack ovens, salamander ovens, pizza ovens, smokers or smoke ovens)
• Cutting machinery
• Domestic knives (cimeter knives, filet knives, utility knives)
• Food safety labeling systems
• Personal computers
• Point of sale terminal
• Slicing machinery
• Menu planning software
• Inventory management software
• Recipe cost control software
• Point-of-sale software (Compris Advanced Manager's Workstation; Compris; Hospitality Control Solutions Aloha Point-of-Sale; ICVERIFY; Intuit QuickBooks Point of Sale; MICROS Systems HSI Profits Series; NCR Advanced Checkout Solution; NCR NeighborhoodPOS; The General Store; ClubSoft Food & Beverage Point of Sale; DataTeam Lunch Express; Dinerware Intuitive Restaurant; Food Service Solutions POSitive ID System; Restaurant Manager)
• Spreadsheet software (Microsoft Excel)
• Two or more years of experience in kitchen preparation and cooking
• At least 6 months experience in a similar capacity
• Able to communicate effectively with managers and kitchen personnel
• Able to reach, bend, stoop and frequently lift up to 40 pounds
• Able to work in a standing position for long periods of time (up to 9 hours)
Elisabeth Prueitt and Chad Robertson opened Tartine Bakery in 2002 in San Francisco’s Mission District. The two met while attending the Culinary Institute of America (they were seated alphabetically) and together developed their love of baking. Over 17 years later they continue to make their coveted morning buns and country loaves - and also continue to push the boundaries around sustainability, ingredient sourcing and improving the artisanal process through innovation. Together they have published 5 award-winning books with 2 more in production.
In 2015, Tartine partnered with coffee veteran Chris Jordan to build Coffee Manufactory, a sister brand that would source and roast coffee mirroring the same sustainability principles of Tartine. In 2016, Tartine Manufactory SF opened its doors and in 2018 Tartine launched its first international location in Seoul, Korea and expanded to Southern California opening The Manufactory Los Angeles. We are poised for growth, but ensuring we are doing so at a human scale - continuing to invest in our partners, our people and our supply chain.
Chad and Elisabeth are multi-time James Beard Award Winners and Nominees for their work at Tartine Bakery as well as their cookbooks.
Tartine Manufactory named one of America’s 50 Best New Restaurants in 2017
Coffee Manufactory named “Best Coffee” in Food & Wine in 2019
Tartine is committed to creating a lasting legacy in our communities through hospitality and experience. Delivering things you have seen before in a way you have never experienced, from a warm loaf of bread to a hot cup of coffee.
Our core values:
We are committed to transparency and approachability every step of the way. We define ourselves by our open kitchens, shared practices and collaboration with partners and suppliers.
Baking requires careful balance. Tartine is built on the balance of flavors, the balance of ideas and the balance between our founders. We bring together a diversity of people, ingredients and approaches.
Patiently pursuing the best possible solution for our guests. We are united by a common high standard. In each space, in each meal, each loaf.
AAP / EEO Statement:
Tartine is an equal opportunity employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), national origin, ancestry, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, family care leave status, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status or political ideology, as these terms are defined by state, federal and local law. Tartine also makes reasonable accommodations for disabled employees.
To comply with applicable laws ensuring equal employment opportunities to qualified individuals with a disability, Tartine will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability who is an applicant or an employee unless undue hardship would result. Any employee who requires an accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of the job should contact their supervisor or Human Resources and request such an accommodation.
Finally, Tartine prohibits harassment of any individual on any of the bases listed above. For information about the types of conduct that constitute impermissible harassment and internal procedures for addressing complaints of harassment, please refer to the restaurant's policy against harassment.
Other jobs you might be interested in
Desserts, Salads / Sandwiches / Soups
Bakery / Patisserie, Cafe, Casual Dining, Wine Bar
Part of Tartine Manufactory
The Manufactory is an idea that grew out of Tartine Bakery (our original location) and its ever-evolving philosophy on flavor, craft and human health. We hope the platform of collaboration allows many friends, thought leaders, chefs and farmers to challenge the industry, create beautiful food and improve the livelihoods of every link in the chain.