The St. James is seeking Cooks at its Springfield, VA location. The St. James is the premier sports, wellness and active entertainment destination in the country, with 450,000 sq. ft. of developmental and competitive programs, teams and opportunities in more than 30 sports, and a wide range of premium fitness, wellness and entertainment experiences.
The primary function of a Cook is to prepare high-quality food. Cook is responsible for timely and accurate preparation of made-to-order food and accurate preparation and plating of food items based on brand specs and BEOs. Cook will have sound technical skills to in all of the areas described in the performance objectives below.
Cook will be an integral part of the team with a common goal of providing exemplary products and services for the guests, adhering to the brand concept and exceeding the standards of the owner and the brand. In short, Cook will help lead The St. James BOH team to be the penultimate example of greatness in products and services on the property.
- Maintain fast, accurate service, positive guest relations, and ensure products are consistent with company and brand quality standards
- Responsibility for maintaining the highest standards of food quality
- Interact with guests in the most diplomatic manner
- Comply at all times with The St. James standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient operations
- Follows Occupational Health & Safety regulations & Ensures equipment and kitchen cleanliness
- Keeps production of food at an adequate level, which does not result in excessive leftovers and waste
- Maintain cleanliness and food safety by adhering to health, sanitation, and food safety laws and standards
- Has a solid knowledge and timely skills of various knife-cutting techniques, such as cutting, dicing and slicing. Refined skill set in the knowledge and preparation of garnishes.
- Has a solid knowledge of meat identification and cookery, i.e., various cuts of beef, pork, veal, lamb, poultry and corresponding cooking techniques, such as braising, grilling, roasting, pan frying, sautéing.
- Accurate knowledge of cooking temperatures for degrees of doneness – rare to well done.
- Strong knowledge of food safety with critical control temperatures, danger zones, cross contamination, sanitization, food borne illness, toxins and chemical poisoning
- Responsible for adhering to brand standards of The St. James.
- Maintain refrigerators and kitchen in clean, organized manner with all food items labeled and dated to facilitate the necessary production to achieve company goals
- Other duties as required by the Food & Beverage Director, and/or the Leadership teams of The St. James for the successful operation of the restaurant
- Supporting the safety of all members, guests and employees.
- A high school diploma and at least two years of experience cooking in a hotel, cruise ship, or restaurant; or a two-year college degree and one year of related experience, or a culinary degree
- Familiarity with and the ability to utilize kitchen cutlery, automatic slicers, buffalo chopper, blenders, band saw, meat grinder, gas-fired cooking equipment, steam kettles, electric griddles, deep-fat fryers, ovens, till fryers, toaster, scales, can openers, Carter-Hoffmann and other culinary tools.
- Clear concise written and verbal communication skills in English; second language is an asset
- Must be flexible in terms of working hours, including work long hours
- Fine dining experience preferred
- High-volume experience preferred
- Basic business math and accounting skills
- Certification in Food Safety strongly desired
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, must be physically fit in order to lift, pull and push items up to 50 pounds. Also requires standing/walking/reaching and bending throughout shift.
- Knowledgeable of safety training, procedures and best practices used throughout the sports and wellness industry
For more information, please visit our website: www.thestjames.co
The St. James is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome qualified applicants from a variety of backgrounds inclusive of their race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, expression or orientation, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, or status as a disabled or Vietnam-era veteran.
All employees receive a complimentary membership to our premium health club. Full time employees are also eligible to elect medical, dental, and vision benefits.
Advanced Knife Handling
Enforcement Of Safety / Sanitation Standards
Food Handlers Certificate
Food Safety Knowledge
Other jobs you might be interested in
Sports Venue, Event, Banquet Hall, Event Catering, Entertainment Venue, Corporate Catering, Special Events Company
Part of The St. James
Welcome to The St. James. Welcome to your best.
At The St. James, we are a premier sports, wellness and active entertainment brand in the United States.
Open now to you all, a 450,000 sq. ft. flagship destination with the best-in-class facilities, programming, instruction, training, entertainment, wellness and lifestyle opportunities all under one roof.
• 24/7 Health Club with group fitness, high-performance personal training and an array of cardio and strength training equipment
• Private coaching, personal training, developmental programs, camps, clinics and academies in 30+ sports
• State-of-the-art sports venues, including a field house with FIFA-sized turf field, aquatics center with Olympic Pool, two NHL-sized ice rinks, basketball and volleyball courts, golf and squash center, baseball and softball center and a gymnastics training center
• Active Entertainment Center with climbing, jumping, VR games and eSports experiences, birthday party and private event spaces
• Indoor interactive water park for fun for all ages
• Spa & Rejuvenation Center offering a wide range of massage, skin and grooming treatments
• Restaurant with a menu for every group and occasion, from breakfast on-the-go to dining experiences for families and large groups
• Retail boutique featuring lifestyle apparel, performance gear and more
• Comprehensive healthcare center offering non-emergency health, wellness and sports medicine services
Become a part of the next big thing in sports, wellness and active entertainment.
We provide opportunities to advance your career and a wide range of leadership development programs and experiences to help you be the best leader you can be.
We’re always looking to grow our team at The St. James. If you think you can rise to the challenge, we want to meet you.