Overview: The Polisher’s role will be to provide a clean and safe kitchen area in the restaurant. A Polisher must maintain the cleanliness of all silverware, glassware and plateware. In addition, they must keep the dish room and equipment clean and organized. The Polisher will report to the General Manager and Managers (“Managers”) and, at times, the Executive Chef and Sous Chefs (“Chefs”). Above all, the Polisher must do all to contribute to a positive work environment as set forth by the culture and values of Galit.
- Assume 100% responsibility for the cleanliness of dishware, silverware and glassware
- Promptly and carefully sort soiled ware so that it can be put through the dish or pot machine properly.
- Load, run, and unload dish machine. Maintain proper chemical and water levels in the high temperature glassware machine
- Maintenance of dish areas, ensuring machine is working properly for washing of glassware and silverware.
- Report any functional or mechanical problems to the Chefs or Managers immediately
- Wash, store, and polish all tableware, glassware, and kitchenware
- Keep dish room clean and organized
- Complete opening and closing checklists as set forth by the Chefs and all front of house managers
- Maintain adequate levels of clean tableware for dining room and kitchen
- Clean and dry floors to avoid slip/fall accidents.
- Maintain and enforce sanitation laws and safety standards with anyone entering the kitchen area.
- Set up and organize workstation with designated supplies and equipment: report shortages to supervisor. Replenish as needed.
- Able to understand Material Safety Data Sheets (“MSDS”) sheets and know location of book.
- Watch for safety hazards and report them immediately to your Department Supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned by the Chefs and/or Managers
- Maintain uniform cleanliness and proper attire at all times without exception
Experience / Skills:
- High school diploma encouraged
- 1-3 years experience preferred
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance.
- Knowledge of safe chemical and equipment handling required.
- Able to work with little or no supervision. Operate equipment such as, but not limited to, dishwasher, and kitchen equipment.
Health Insurance for Full time employees
Experience in a High Volume Environment
Other jobs you might be interested in
Upscale Casual, Fine Dining
1 Employee RecommendationSee Details
Galit is a Middle Eastern Restaurant in the Lincoln Park neighborhood in Chicago, owned and operated by Andrés Clavero and James Beard Award-winning chef Zachary Engel. The restaurant is a space for community: hospitality professionals, guests and suppliers will come together and celebrate food and drink in a respectful, friendly and caring manner. The menu focuses on a seasonal and localized approach to dishes of the Middle East and Israel’s immigrant cuisines, alongside a unique and forward-thinking beverage program. Galit opened on April 2, 2019.