Pastry Sous Chef
2017 World’s Best Pastry Chef is looking for talent for his Soho bakery (Dominique Ansel Bakery) and West Village bakery (Dominique Ansel Kitchen)!
Full-time positions are available immediately for: Pastry Sous Chef
You will be working with a top-tier team in a professional and creative environment. This position is perfect for someone who wants to get his/her foot through the door and pursue a long-term career in the F&B industry and pastry. We believe in promoting education among our team and building strong and solid techniques and foundation. You will learn a great deal while here and work directly with Chef Dominique.
- Daily production for all dessert items, including but not limited to viennoiserie, pastries, and ice creams
- Management of a team of 15 to 20 people
- Management of all ordering and acceptance of daily deliveries and ability to keep things within set cost margins with suppliers
- Handles daily scheduling and hours and management of payroll
- Management of interviewing, hiring, training and reviewing of BOH staff
- Work with FOH to establish and meet pars
- Developing and creating dessert menu and recipes with Executive Pastry chef and team, including working on packaging
- Management of organization of kitchen, including organization and cleanliness of dried storage, walk-ins, and dairy fridge
- Daily quality checks of products
- Attend certain outside events and programs with possible travel
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in a restaurant with a focus on pastry, with at least 2 years of having managerial responsibilities
- A genuine passion and knowledge for food and pastries
- Culinary school attendance
- Prior experience with laminated dough, cakes, ice cream, chocolate, and sugar work
- Experience with service and expediting
- Knowledge of how to work with a dough sheeter and depositor a plus
- Dependable and hard-working
- Sociable and friendly to staff and guests. We believe personality is your biggest asset.
- Must be meticulously clean and aware of all food safety standards (NYC Food Handler's License a plus).
- Must be available to work on different shifts, weekends, and holidays.
Bonus, Health and dental benefits, paid vacation
Other jobs you might be interested in
Bakery / Patisserie
Part of Dominique Ansel
James Beard Award-winning Pastry Chef, Dominique Ansel has shaken up the pastry world with innovation and creativity at the heart of his work. As Chef/Owner of eponymous bakeries in New York, London, and Los Angeles, as well as his first-ever restaurant which recently launched in Los Angeles, Chef Dominique has been responsible for creating some of the most fêted pastries in the world.
Dominique Ansel Bakery is Chef Dominique's flagship shop, which opened in New York City's Soho neighborhood in November 2011. Serving both sweet and savory items, with pastries reigning supreme, the Bakery is home to many of Chef Dominique’s signature creations – from his famed Cronut® (named one of TIME Magazine’s “25 Best inventions of 2013”), the Cookie Shot, Frozen S’more, Blossoming Hot Chocolate, baked-to-order Mini Madeleines, and many more. The shop features both cafe seating indoors as well as a quaint outdoor backyard terrace.
For his prolific creativity, Chef Dominique was named the World’s Best Pastry Chef in 2017 by the World’s 50 Best Restaurants awards. Food & Wine has called him a “Culinary Van Gogh” while the New York Post coined him “the Willy Wonka of New York.” He was also named Business Insider’s “Most Innovative People Under 40,” one of Crain’s “40 under 40,” and was bestowed the prestigious l’Ordre du Mérite Agricole, France’s second highest honor.
Prior to opening his own shop, Dominique served as the Executive Pastry Chef for restaurant Daniel, when the team earned its coveted third Michelin star and a four-star review from The New York Times. He opened his first shop in 2011 with just four employees. Forthcoming new concepts will be launching in London’s Covent Garden neighborhood as well as in Hong Kong soon.