Vespertine is a multi-sensory, fine-dining restaurant project from Chef Jordan Kahn (Destroyer),
located in the Hayden Tract district of Culver City. The restaurant inhabits a 4-level tower of
twisted steel and glass, designed for its purpose in collaboration with architect Eric Owen Moss
and a group of renowned artists to reimagine and explore the ritual of dining. The experience
takes guests through a transportive journey of discovery in which the 20+ course menu unfolds
as they ascend and descend through the levels of the tower. The convergence of food, art,
architecture, music, and sculpture is woven throughout to create an immersive, multi-sensory
Vespertine is open Tuesday through Saturday, with staggered seating from 5:30 to 9 p.m., and
reservations are confirmed via advance ticket purchase through Tock. There is no written menu,
however we do accommodate all dietary restrictions, allergies, and preferences. The restaurant
seats a maximum of 22 guests at a time, and the average guest experience is 3.5-4 hours,
spanning all 4 levels. Our beverage program includes an extensive list of wine, sake, beer, juices
and infusions, and we offer 3 different pairings for the tasting menu. We do not have cocktails or
a full bar.
* * Michelin Guide 2019
#1 Jonathan Gold’s 101 List 2018
“Jordan Kahn is playing with modes of dining that have never before been articulated. Months
after your meal, images and juxtapositions will flash through your thoughts, as vivid as they
were the evening of your dinner, because Vespertine is in its way, perfect.”
VESPERTINE is looking for someone to join our team. We currently have a CHEF de PARTIE position available and are looking for someone intelligent and gracious with a passion for hospitality.
The CHEF DE PARTIE will execute and maintain the menu vision set forth by the Company/Owners/Operators through purchasing, training and supervision. Will be responsible for food sales, food and labor costs, hiring, employee retention, guest services and satisfaction, food quality, safety, cleanliness and sanitation. Oversee the performance of the entire kitchen staff and systems in order to achieve all goals in food quality, guest expectations, budgets and company standards and expectations.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Practices positive personal hygiene and cleanliness habits during all work shifts.
- Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the recipes, portioning, cooking and serving standards of Chef Kahn.
- Properly document all recipes and techniques.
- Oversee and/or perform purchasing on a daily basis to maintain the highest level of food quality.
- Understand all policies, procedures, standards, specifications, guidelines and training programs. Follow through with training and coaching to ensure that all policies and laws are followed.
- Maintain company expectations of food and service through the supervision of the entire kitchen team.
- Fill in where needed to ensure that the guest experience is never compromised and their expectation of food and service are met and/or exceeded.
- Upkeep of all kitchen equipment and facilities so that health and safety standards are met. Achieve this through maintenance programs and inspections.
- Work schedule may require weekends and holidays, early morning and late evenings.
- Shifts will range from 9 - 12 hours
- Always act in a professional manner that represents the restaurant, owners, partners and staff.
- Demonstrate teamwork in all areas of the restaurant
- Work with a positive attitude in all types of situations
- Strong, positive and respectful communication skills
- Follow safety and sanitation rules and laws at all times
- Always act in the best interest of the restaurant, fellow employees and guests.
- Create, maintain a positive, safe and productive working environment
- Food Service Manager Certificate required
- Harassment Certification within 30 days after employment
- Health Benefits After 60 Days of Employment
- Must be eligible to work in the US
Health Benefits After 60 Days of Employment
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of Sprout LA
DESTROYER & VESPERTINE, located in the Hayden Tract district of Culver City, are projects from Chef Jordan Kahn (Red Medicine). Our philosophy is to seek to explore the tension between art, science, and the human condition. Our exploration of food and gastronomy is personal, intimate, and boundless. Our inspiration comes from our community, our farmers, foragers, artists, and musicians.
DESTROYER is a response to, and a reflection of the 'conjunctive points', best known for transforming the Hayden Tract community in Culver City. It was created as a collective resolution to bring about social change in the community. By filling a very literal hunger, this project will use the 'neighborhood cafe' as a platform to bring various artists and creatives together. At its simplest, Destroyer is a cafe atelier, serving delicious and beautiful food and beverage, and whose main function is to serve the community on a day-to-day basis. Providing a measure of sensitivity and consideration for what inspires and comforts our neighbors, is at the very core of our philosophy.
VESPERTINE is a gastronomical experiment seeking to disrupt the course of the modern restaurant. A perceptual and cognitive experience, where deliciousness is driven by form and texture is crafted into sculpture. Blurring interrelationships between materials and ideas, environment and context, of sound and dissonance. The project was conceived as a result of the building in which it resides: the architectural phenomenon known as “The Waffle.” Designed by world-renowned architect Eric Owen Moss, The Waffle is a two-story structure, separated into four levels of which there are no traditional walls supporting the building. Instead, the building is wrapped by an architectural skin — a curtain of undulating steel and glass. The intimate, 22-seat dining room sets the stage for an enigmatic dining experience. The menu is comprised of a succession of 20+ courses.