Timely and quality preparation and execution of savory food product in restaurant kitchen by performing the following duties.
MAJOR JOB DUTIES
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Sets up stations and collects all necessary supplies to prepare for service
- Arranges sauces and supplementary garnishes for allocated station
- Preps assigned items according to prep lists and par levels set by management. Properly measures and assembles ingredients required for preparing standard recipes. Cuts and/or portions meat, fish, and poultry.
- Prepares all food items to order, following standard recipes and procedures within specified time limits
- Communicates with chefs throughout the shift regarding availability of product or shortages
- Covers, dates and correctly stores all food prep items
- Handles food preparation tools in accordance with manufactures instructions
- Closes the kitchen correctly and follow the closing checklist for kitchen stations
- Maintains a prepared, organized, and sanitary work area at all times
- Cleans, organizes, and maintains storage areas and ensures all products are stored appropriately
- Rotates product according to “First In, First Out” to maintain shelf-life standards. Logs and discards all product not used by the end of the shift on the “use by” date.
- Constantly practices safe and hygienic food handling practices
- Returns dirty food preparation utensils to the appropriate areas
- Assists with all duties as assigned by Managing Chef
- Alerts management immediately when assistance is needed to complete the above job functions.
- This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or general education degree (GED) preferred; prior restaurant cook experience required.
- Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write correspondence and complete checklists. Ability to fluently speak, write, and read the English language.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: ServSafe Food Handlers Certificate
- Other Skills and Abilities: Overall general cooking and food prep skills; ability to properly handle knives; strong organizational and listening skills, ability to effectively prioritize tasks
- Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to: stand; walk; use hands to handle, carry, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crouch. The employee must often lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Some exposure to smoke, steam, high temperatures, and humidity.
Other jobs you might be interested in
American, Comfort Food
Gastro Pub, Upscale Casual
Part of Gage Hospitality Group
The Gage is the iconic restaurant at 24 South Michigan Avenue, along the Chicago Cultural Mile and steps from Millennium Park and The Art Institute. The restaurant serves rustic American fare in a refined, lively setting, complemented by an innovative libations program.