Pig and Khao is hiring a sous chef. If you are a hard-working, punctual, team player with a good attitude - please apply! Southeast Asian cooking experience is a plus but not required; an ability and desire to learn IS required.
Chef Leah Cohen's Pig and Khao serves refined Southeast Asian cuisine in a fast-paced, downtown setting. Since opening in 2012, Pig and Khao has been awarded 2 stars by the New York Times and named Best Asian Restaurant NYC for 2016 by Zagat.
Your responsibilities will include but not be limited to:
- Managing a staff of 10 to 15 cooks
- Hiring and training BOH staff
- Ordering and maintaining food costs
- Creating prep lists for the staff
- Working with the CDC to create specials and new menu items
- Preparing and maintaining work station on the line 1 to 2 shifts a week
- Maintaining professional standards
- Working clean, efficiently, and with respect for ingredients
- Ensure that all dishes are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant's recipes, portioning, cooking and service standards
- Keep equipment clean and in excellent working condition
- Motivating the staff
- Maintain a positive, work environment via effective, professional communication with other employees and managers
- Maintains a friendly, courteous and cheerful demeanor at all times.
- Experience working in a professional kitchen as a Jr Sous Chef or Tournant for a minimum of 1 year
- Vast knowledge of culinary techniques, procedures and equipment
- Friendly, outgoing, energetic team player with a positive attitude
- Ability to think quickly and multi-task in a fast paced environment
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbal and written
- Ability to take and give direction
Competitive salary and medical insurance
Advanced Knife Handling
Enforcement Of Safety / Sanitation Standards
Food Handlers Certificate
Other jobs you might be interested in
Singaporean, Filipino, Thai
Bar / Lounge, Casual Dining
Top Chef contestant Leah Cohen is the Chef and owner of Pig and Khao (68 Clinton Street) on the Lower East Side.
The Southeast Asian inspired cuisine offers a variety of Thai and Filipino influences on the menu including Crispy Pata and pickled mango salad (pork shank cooked in soy sauce and five spice garnished with coriander, crispy garlic served with a secret family recipe sweet and sour liver dipping sauce), Grilled Pork Neck and Watermelon Salad (chili lime fish sauce, shallot, chicharon, herbs and toasted rice) and Pork Belly Adobo (Szechuan peppercorn, coconut vinegar, soy sauce, bay leaves, crispy garlic, scallion and soft poached egg). Drinks range from cheap canned beer to large format beer served Piggie style (drink out of small bowls), craft cocktails and self-serve bottomless tap in the backyard.