Under the direction of the General Manager, The Floor Manager is responsible for providing a great Guest experience while serving delicious food that is rooted in the New Nordic Cuisine philosophy. Must manage and lead the dining room team at Agern to serve safe and delicious food and beverages to our guests while meeting or exceeding our business objectives at the Great Northern Food Hall. This is a hands-on role where the Floor Manager is expected to work on the floor and interact daily with Guests and Team Members as well as work with the front-of-house (FOH) management team for Agern Restaurant as a whole in fulfilling specific projects that further develops the team and the business.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Must adhere to the MeyersUSA Policies and Procedures.
- Adheres to all Human Resources and departmental policies and procedures regarding performance, recognition, coaching, training and discipline.
- Handles all guest concerns and complaints if they arise. Maintains a visible presence on the floor and interacts with guests and team members.
- Assists in all aspects of employee relations, including but not limited to hiring, disciplining, developing, coaching, mediating, recognizing, and evaluation team members according to MeyersUSA guidelines and policies.
- Communicates to the team all company promotions and initiatives on a daily basis through shift meetings of any adjustments to menu, and events scheduled. Solicits feedback from the team to continuously drive operational improvements and motivate the team.
- Assists the front-of-house (FOH) management team in ordering supplies as needed; communicates equipment and maintenance needs to the direct reports and finds solutions to these issues.
- Properly edits payroll for accurate processing of paychecks if applicable and as assigned by the General Manager(s).
- Ensures adherence to all cost control procedures, such as voids, discounts, comps, etc., and ensures all team members understand and follow those procedures.
- Assists in development and/or implementation of all schedules and rotations; adjusts or balances the staffing levels in order to control labor costs without sacrificing guest service.
- Assigns sections and breaks for team members and makes sure to release team members once their station and section has been organized and communicated.
- Monitors full Team Member compliance associated with responsibility of food handling and serving alcohol.
- Implements, adheres to and monitors all departmental and company policies and procedures as well as local, state & federal laws - including but not limited to standards of conduct, attendance, appearance, cash handling, confidentiality, safety, service and sanitation.
- Must meet or exceed our triple bottom lines of financials, social awareness, and deliciousness.
- Completes all required documentation according to company and/or franchise standards.
- Maintains a clean, well-groomed, professional appearance in accordance with our company/department Standards of Appearance policy.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment.
- Performs all other related and compatible duties as assigned.
- Mentors and develops individuals inside the organization or the community for them to reach their full potential. Promotes positive public/employee relations at all times.
- Actively participates in promoting our brand by interacting with our Guests in the restaurant, be involved in the community, engages with the media and be able to communicate in an effective way the essence of our brand.
- Must have a pleasant and friendly demeanor.
- Consistently offers professional, friendly and proactive guest service while supporting fellow Team Members.
- Promote a positive public image and maintain Employee Relations standards at all times.
- Must provide a happy environment free of harassment and hostility. Personally present themselves as the ambassador of all company and department expectations. Be a role model.
- Oversees the serving of exciting, innovative, and delicious food and beverages.
- Participates in team communication and development to elevate the knowledge base of our salaried and hourly staff and inspires them to provide delicious food and great guest service within the context of our organizational culture.
Skills and Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- NOTE: All MeyersUSA employees are required to perform alternate functions from time to time, both within and outside of their assigned department, particularly during peak periods such as holiday weekends.
- Working duringweekends, holidays and peak business periods are required, including working any shift/day designated by the department.
- Must provide leadership over the front-of-house (FOH) team to prepare and serve delicious and safe food to our guests while meeting or exceeding our business objectives.
- Nurtures a culture of happiness, self-awareness, measurement, and continuous improvements.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.) applications is required.
- The ability to clearly communicate operational tasks in English is required. Must demonstrate proficient English writing skills and must be effective in engaging with our Guests to listen to their feedback and resolve their concerns.
- The ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure is also required.
- Must be Food Handler/Food Protection-certified within 6 months of employment.
Education and Experience
- A business degree or equivalent preferred. A minimum of one (1) to two (2) years of experience in a leadership position in a comparable restaurant, or experience in an ambitious fine dining restaurant is required. Experience overseeing multiple restaurants venues preferred.
- This position manages all employees of the department and is responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within that department.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- MeyersUSA complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act, and all applicable state or local law. Our company will reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with a disability if such accommodation would allow the individual to perform the essential functions of the job, unless doing so would create an undue hardship.
- Frequently need to work in wet or humid conditions, near moving parts, near fumes or airborne particles, in extreme non weather heat, and in extreme non weather cold.
- Will occasionally need to work in outdoor conditions and near mechanical hazards.
- Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, bend, lift, use hands and fingers, reach with hands and arms, talk and/or hear.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close, distance, color, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
- Team member must be able to lift a minimum of 35lbs. multiple times per day, and push a cart weighing up to 100lbs.
- Must practice proper body mechanics and use appropriate personal protective equipment to avoid injury.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- This position is an exempt position and may require working in excess of forty (40) hours during a work week.
- Fast paced environment with varying levels of guests and employees present.
- Varying walking surfaces, working environments and equipment.
- Varying levels of light sound, temperature and smoke.
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of MeyersUSA
In Spring of 2016, Claus Meyer and his team opened a fine dining restaurant, Agern, in Grand Central Terminal.
Housed in the beating heart of New York City, Grand Central Terminal, the restaurant brings Nordic roots to one of the city’s most iconic locations. The restaurant will be an ambitious, yet welcoming, fine dining destination serving both ala carte and a chef’s tasting menu. The beverage program focuses on American wine, beer, and spirits, with sustainable producers at it’s core.
About Claus Meyer
Meyer is a world-renowned restaurateur and culinary entrepreneur. He is the mind behind the New Nordic Cuisine Movement and the co-founder of noma, rated the world’s best restaurant four times on the World’s 50 Best Restaurant list. He has hosted several Danish and international TV cooking shows and written numerous cookbooks. Meyer co-owns several restaurants, including Studio in Copenhagen, which received a Michelin star just four months after opening, as well as several bakeries, delis, a catering business, an orchard, a vinegar factory, a coffee roastery as well as a cooking school for kids and adults.
Believing in food as a driver for social change, Meyer established the Melting Pot Foundation in 2010. The organization runs a cooking school project in Danish prisons, motivating incarcerated people to live a life without crime. In 2013, Melting Pot established a cooking school in La Paz, Bolivia, providing culinary education to impoverished Bolivians, also serving as a gourmet restaurant, Gustu, voted 17th best in Latin America on the Latin America’s 50 Best Restaurants list.
This summer, Melting Pot will initiate a social project in Brownsville, East New York, establishing a culinary school, cafeteria, bakery and community center, serving the local community and with the goal of engaging at-risk youth and impacting peoples lives beyond the walls of the kitchen.
Meyer is an associate professor in the Department of Food Science at the University of Copenhagen as well as an adjunct professor at the Institute for Corporate Social Responsibility at the Copenhagen Business School. In 2015 he was appointed “Social Impact Fellow” at the Hass School of Business, University of California, Berkeley.