Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few!
Marta, located at The Redbury New York hotel in the growing neighborhood north of Madison Square Park, is a lively Italian restaurant from Chef Lena Ciardullo. Inspired by the rustic tradition of Roman pizzerie, local haunts that churn out thin, crackly-crusted pizzas, Marta features an energetic open kitchen with two wood-burning ovens and an open-fire grill taking center stage. The kitchen creates fresh takes on classic pizza standbys as well as original inventions showcasing seasonal and local ingredients. The wine list hangs its hat on Champagne and a deep focus on Italian wine, along with exciting beer and a lively cocktail menu. Marta exudes warmth and communal energy and serves as a central gathering place for its community.
As a Sommelier at Marta, you are the tour guide for Italian wine and Champagne through our guests’ Roman dining adventure in New York. We are looking for dedicated team members who are invested in welcoming our guests into an incredible and memorable experience. Sommeliers must display strong wine knowledge, excellent service and warm hospitality.
Marta is a fast-paced, exciting environment with many opportunities to learn and grow. Professionals in this role will need to demonstrate a thorough knowledge of food, beverage, ingredients and dish preparations on our menu. Successful candidates require great communication skills and a pleasant friendly attitude toward their colleagues and guests. Ideal applicants are professional with a sense of humor and a strong passion for hospitality.
As an important member of our team, you’ll receive:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
What You Bring to the Table
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of:
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t-and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- 1- 2 years full-service restaurant experience in a Sommelier position
- Classic Food / Wine Service
- Food / Beverage Pairing
- Extensive Wine Knowledge
- Food Safety Knowledge
- A sense of urgency and strong work ethic with the ability to multi-task
- Strong communication and listening skills to develop trusting relationships with peers and guests
- The ability to stay positive and calm under pressure
- A warm, compassionate, and team-focused approach
Candidates must have a flexible schedule. Marta is open for lunch and dinner service, 7 days a week
Ability To Lift 40+ Lbs
Basic Floor Service
Classic Wine Service Expertise
Classic Wine Service Knowledge
Food & Wine Pairings
Other jobs you might be interested in
Italian, Pizza, Grill
1 Employee RecommendationSee Details
Part of Union Square Hospitality Group
The food at Marta is inspired by the tradition of rustic Roman pizzerie, the neighborhood haunts that churn out thin, crackly-crusted pizzas into the late hours of the evening. The restaurant celebrates the Italian tradition of cooking alle brace, or over embers, dedicating a section of the menu to daily specials – meats, fish and vegetables – all kissed by the fire.
Additionally, no Roman-style pizzeria would be complete without salty fried snacks and a robust offering of seasonal salads. The beverage list showcases Italian as well as local craft beers, along with thoughtfully selected wines and cocktails. Marta is open continuously seven days a week, serving breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late night.
We offer medical, dental, vision, 401K, flex pay, life insurance, employee dining program and paid vacation. USHG provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.