Summary of Position: The Sous Chef is responsible for working directly with the CDC to maintain a well organized, clean and professionally run kitchen. The quality of food is to be maintained and/or exceed the expections set out by the Chef/Owner. He/She is responsible for the entire kitchen and dish-room staff.
Duties & Responsibilities:
The Sous Chef is responsible for working directly with the CDC to promote and maintain a team work environment. He/She must be supportive of all decisions made by the management team and help implement them. The Sous Chef must show leadership with his staff encouraging them and giving them proper direction. He/She must maintain a positive attitude always looking to improve the restaurant and maintaining morale.
Production and Ordering
The Sous Chef is responsible for ordering the correct quantities.
The Sous Chef is responsible for having the prep cooks and cooks prepare enough food for the evening and set the staff up for the next day.
Over ordering and under ordering must be controlled by daily pars.
Daily line checks for lunch and dinner are required using a checklist.
The CDC, Executive Sous Chef and Sous Chef are required to work any line station when needed.
He/She is expected to help the skills of the line cooks by working with them on a daily basis and correcting them when needed.
Display and Train staff on proper usage of kitchen equipment
Required to Expedite the line during service or appoint a capable expediter
Quality and Sanitation
He/She is responsible for enforcing all health department regulations and must maintain high standard in all areas of safety, sanitation and security.
He/She must uphold the quality of food standards set by the Vetrifamily.
The standards include:
• Proper handling and storage(FIFO)
• Proper cooking procedures and techniques
• Portion size
• Proper Food Costing
• repairs and cleanliness of equipment are the direct responsibility of the CDC.
• He/She is responsible for all administrative duties including but not limited to: scheduling, new employee training and HR documentation (new hire packets, write ups and employee evaluations).
• Sous Chef must monitor overtime, inventory and monthly food costs.
• CDC must write recipes for every new dish
• CDC must cost out every new dish with recipe template
• high school diploma
• Culinary degree or equivalent experience
• Serve-Safe certification
• 3-5 yrs experience as line cook or 1-2yrs as Sous Chef
• Ability to communicate in English and Spanish
• Understand organization of a full service restaurant
• Manage a staff to maximize performance
• Properly motivate staff to maintain a high morale
• Adapt to customers needs and requests
• Maintain an open line of communication between your staff
• Be able to work in hot, wet, humid and loud environment for long periods of time (up to 9 hours).
• Be physically able to lift, reach, bend and stoop.
• Be able to safely lift bags, cases and stacks (up to 60 pounds) many times per shift.
Advanced Knife Handling
Culinary Menu / Recipe Development
Dough Making / Portioning
Enforcement Of Safety / Sanitation Standards
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of Schulson Collective
Less than a year after conception, February 15, 2007, Osteria opened its doors to the public, and, still in its infancy continues to stay true to the dream that three owners had standing on Ca’ Marcanda vineyards in Tuscany. A traditional Italian Osteria, where you can choose from our homemade pastas, thin crust pizzas, or wood grilled meats and fish.
As much as Vetri is small and intimate, with a rustic farmhouse feel, Osteria is classically designed to have a warm, evocative feel in an industrial setting. With wine-red-stained concrete floors, antique Berkel slicers, a gleaming vintage Faema coffee machine, solid antique pine country tables, a wall of beautifully stained wine boxes and view of a “vecchia chiesa” so spectacular that it rivals any this side of the Atlantic. Additionally, the menu changes seasonally, to go with our 100 bottle Italian wine list featuring grapes from Trentino to Sicily and all stops in between.