Click your avatar to access saved jobs and applications
HEAD PASTRY CHEF JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
The Head Pastry Chef oversees the preparation, execution and inventory of all products made in-house and purchased for the Market Street locations as well as the “pop-up” locations at Spruce Street Harbor Park. The Head Pastry Chef is charged with the interviewing, hiring and training of new Pastry Assistants and is primarily responsible for supervising and holding accountable all direct reports. The Head Pastry Chef will also be trained in candy and chocolate making, and help to manage staff and production for Shane Confectionery and Shane Chocolate Works. The incumbent is responsible for modeling and acting in accordance with The Franklin Fountain LLC mission and philosophies.
HEAD PASTRY CHEF JOB DUTIES
Duties may include but not limited to:
* Creating and communicating the daily/weekly production schedule for all kitchen staff
* Performing daily/weekly inventories of all products made in house and purchased, assessing the needs of all operations depending on the season.
* Inventory control of all raw-product/ingredients and placing orders based on the needs of the kitchen/shop
* Completing all tasks involved with the production of regular and seasonal house-made Franklin Fountain products (ice cream bases, toppings, syrups, baked goods, seasonal items, etc).
* Maintaining a clean, safe, and professional work environment.
* Engaging in constant, effective communication with FOH staff and Management at all Ice Cream locations regarding inventory needs, product quality, recipe/ingredient questions and any other issues
* Using and maintaining equipment and tools as intended, properly and safely. Communicating repair needs when necessary.
* Responsible for R&D: development and systematization of new products as well as revising/improving upon existing recipes as needed, product/vendor sourcing
* Monitoring the daily/weekly product rotation, ensuring freshness and quality of all products
* Managing costs by implementing strategies to reduce waste, monitoring raw ingredient costs, and researching alternative vendors
* Maintaining up-to-date costing information for all current and new products to inform pricing decisions
* Constantly contributes to regular food management discussions with pastry assistants and FOH management as well as participating in kitchen meetings (taking notes and leading the discussion.)
* Delegating tasks when necessary and taking full responsibility for maintaining the Franklin Fountain vision and values
* Working with the FF FOH, kitchen team and prep crew to maintain cleanliness in all aspects of operations across all food prep areas including refrigerators/freezers, prep tables, common kitchen equipment, walls and surfaces, etc.
* Hiring, training and development of all new and current Pastry Assistants. Participating in “intervention/disciplinary” conversations with all staff in order to maintain a positive and professional work environment
* Leading employee training and development by positively reinforcing successful performance and giving encouraging coaching as needed.
* Writing schedules for all pastry assistants with a focus on managing labor costs
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
* Professional and positive attitude.
* Available weekends/evenings, holidays and for special events when necessary.
* Well-organized and detail-oriented with the ability to multitask.
* Ability to work in a fast paced, high volume environment.
* Leadership and human resources management skills, able to direct the work of others.
* Ability to work both independently and to collaborate with co-workers.
* Excellent communication skills: visually, verbally, email, online, phone. Ability and willingness to engage with the public on camera or in person as a “charismatic, capable face of the brand.”
* 5+ years working in a professional kitchen environment, maintaining very high standards of production
* At least 2 years of experience in a Management-level position
* Interest in history and researching/implementing historical recipes and methods
* Ideal candidate is ServSafe certified.
* Constant movement during the scheduled shift, up to eight hours.
* Must be able to lift 50 lbs. and frequently bend and twist at the waist
* Must be able to tolerate extreme fluctuations in temperature.
* Ascending/descending stairs.
Health benefits and PTO available after 90days
Menu / Recipe Development
Pastry Menu Development
Staff Education / Motivation
Purchasing / ordering