Established, high volume, and iconic restaurant in High Falls, New York with a long history and reputation for serving great food in a one of a kind atmosphere is looking to bring on a new head chef as we move into our busy fall season. We have a highly dedicated crowd of local regulars as well as an out-of-town audience. This is an incredible opportunity for somebody looking to step right into a key role in an already successful and ever expanding business with lots of potential for growth, creativity, and innovation. We are planning to add catering and private events into our business model in the coming year. This person should possess great leadership skills, a good attitude, grace under pressure in a fast paced and demanding environment, a love for being on the line, punctuality and dependability, a motivation to continue and expand upon our success as a local food destination, a willingness to work with our kitchen team and train incoming kitchen staff, and a collaborative spirit in working with the manager/owners in a shared vision. We source from local farms and vendors wherever possible, and have a great respect for seasonal cooking, so an awareness or passion for farm to table would definitely be a plus. We are also open to discussing the possibility of providing a part or full-time living situation for somebody looking to relocate. Highly competitive salary. For more information visit theeggsnest.com
POSITION: Restaurant Chef
BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Responsible for the preparation of fresh and wholesome meals for The Egg’s Nest Restaurant, a local iconic farm to table operation.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assume responsibility for the overall production of hot and cold foods associated with breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, and special events as assigned.
- Execute menus with complete oversight of kitchen set up, service, and breakdown of stations in regards to hot and cold foods all Food and beverage functions.
- Communicate effectively with Front of the house management before, during, and after service.
- Conduct food tastings for development of future menu items and create standard recipes that can be taught to staff.
- Conduct shift briefings and menu training for front of the house staff as needed for new menu implementation
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities for a staff up to 20 in accordance with The Egg’s Nest House policies. Train employees; plan, assign, and direct work; appraise performance; reward and coach/counsel/discipline employees; address complaints.
- Work with the Proprietors to ensure all products are ordered for and processed in accordance with The Eggs Nest culinary standards. Ensure any additional products outside of normal dining operations are ordered and used as required.
- Track food materials daily or as needed for the preparation of breakfast, lunch, and dinner
- Check all hot and cold foods prepped before service to ensure proper quality and quantities needed are at hand.
- Expedite for the entire service period ensuring each plate is of the highest quality possible.
- Learn, retain, and demonstrate a full knowledge and understanding of all menu offerings.
- Prepare and cook food according to recipes, quality standards, presentation standards, and food preparation checklist. Ensure proper portion, arrangement, and food garnish. Test foods ensure the correctness of the temperature of food.
- Maintain work spaces including stainless steel tables, equipment, dry storage shelves, walk-in refrigerators, upright freezer, and general sanitary condition of downstairs kitchen prep area in a neat and orderly fashion.
- Demonstrate advanced knife handling skills and familiar with kitchen equipment and machines.
- Work on the line under time constraints, extreme temperatures, and high business volume.
- Bake, roast, broil, and steam meats, fish, vegetables, and other foods. Weigh, measure, and mix ingredients. Maintain an awareness of and minimize costs/expenses.
- Check the working condition of equipment and machinery in accordance with specifications.
- Operate and regulate temperatures of equipment such as ovens, stoves, grills, microwaves, steamers, kettles, and fryers.
- Meet with Proprietors to discuss daily services and special functions.
- Analyze problems and develop and implement action plans to address problems.
- Inspect the work of others by touch, sight, sound, taste and smell for conformance to prescribed standards
- Offer consistently professional, friendly and proactive guest service while supporting fellow colleagues. Assist all staff in a professional manner ensuring our guest service is in accordance with The Egg’s Nest standards. Maintain good working relationships with coworkers and guests.
- Research industry trends regularly and maintain a current knowledge of common or trending practices in the industry. Maintain knowledge of local, state, federal health and employment laws.
- Inventory and maintain equipment and supplies, initiate purchases, and safeguard equipment and supplies.
- Work clean and assume responsibility for kitchen organization and orderliness. Clean and scrutinize work stations periodically during work shift ensuring the cleanliness and maintenance of all work areas, utensils, and equipment.
- Follow kitchen policies, procedures and service standards. Follow all safety and sanitation policies when handling food and beverage. .
- Maintain food and cooler logs. Keep refrigerators and storerooms clean and neat. Ensure food and supply items are stored per standards. Ensure proper rotation of product in all refrigerators to minimize wastage/spoilage.
- Lift up to 50 pounds from ground level to waist height and carries a distance of up to 100 feet with/ without assistance.
- Identify safety hazards, report, and follow up to see that corrective action is taken.
- Reach with hands and arms, bend, kneel, stoop, twist and flex arms, walk up and down stairs/inclines, sit, climb up/down ladders or stand for up to 5 hours at a time.
- Speak, read and write the English language and communicate in a clear and congenial manner, with our guests and employees.
- Perform basic mathematical functions with recipes such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Maintain a flexible work schedule including days/nights, weekdays/weekends, holidays, and during peak periods of business.
- At least 21 years of age.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Associates degree in Culinary Arts from accredited culinary school or 5-7 years experience in similar operation.
- Certified in food service sanitation practices and prevention of food borne illnesses.
Highly Competitive Salary and Additional Benefits
Other jobs you might be interested in
Breakfast / Brunch, American