Position Title: Stir Sous Chef
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt, Base Salary with paid overtime when scheduled
Position Summary: Stir, Barbara Lynch’s intimate 10 seat demonstration kitchen and cookbook store in the South End, is looking for a full time Sous Chef. Every evening, our intimate space is transformed into a dinner party of strangers mingling and forging new friendships. The Sous Chef is responsible for menu planning, ingredient sourcing, and preparation a different 5-course menu every day,. During dinner service (we often refer to our dinners as “classes”), the sous chef will execute the dinner, as well as provide cooking demonstrations, interact with guests and answer their questions. The Sous Chef will also work directly with our team to develop the themes for our calendar of events.
Relationships: The Stir Sous Chef will report directly to the Lead Chef and collaborate daily with the General Manager, Education Manager, and Private Events Manager.
- Prepare for proper execution of service (planning and prepping a 5-course menu with cooking demonstrations and other educational material)
- Adhere to safe food handling and sanitation practices
- Demonstrate financial savvy through minimized food costs and low product waste
- Be punctual and prepared for all scheduled shifts
- Contribute ideas to Stir Team for future class content
- Prepare and execute prep lists for daily / weekly events
- Monthly inventory
- Lead 3 -5 classes per week
- Thorough research and review of class material
- Adhere to all company policies as delineated in the Employee Handbook
- Support the connectedness between our South End community of restaurants
- On call support for Barbara Lynch Collective as directed by Lead Chef
- Lead by example by recognizing that your actions and behaviors are models for the Stir team and the overall management philosophy of the entire company
- Cultivate and maintain responsible relationships based upon mutual respect and trust with the entire Stir team.
- Promote and support a culture of education and development through ongoing creativity for the entire Stir team on all aspects of food, wine, hospitality and service
Education & Experience
- Associates Culinary Degree preferred
- 2 years fine dining restaurant experience in a French or Italian kitchen setting preferred
- Well rounded skill set from baking to butchering
- Understanding and comprehension of various cuisines
- Ease, comfort, and professionalism interacting with guests in both conversational and hands on experiences
- Competent knife skills
- Evening and Weekend Availability
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend and apply new techniques in kitchen
- Have an exceedingly strong work ethic and integrity in their work
- Derive joy from learning and teaching
- Create positive, respectful, and effective relationships
- Are passionate about all aspects of hospitality, food, wine, and restaurant culture
- Are capable of solving problems through creative and critical thinking
- Take constructive criticism well
- Have excellent time management, prioritization, and organization skills
- Ability to be on feet through duration of workday
- maintain/exceed budgeted food cost goals
- contribute towards guest retention & high attendance rate
Disclaimer: This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions associated with this job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed or assigned.
Other jobs you might be interested in
Certification & Training Program, Restaurant Group
Part of Barbara Lynch Collective
A culture of continuing education has always been at the heart of the Barbara Lynch Gruppo philosophy. We are a team of passionate and hardworking individuals who speak on behalf of our farmers, winemakers and distillers, as well as one another, through a medium of food, wine, spirits, service and hospitality. In the past, when we have extended this culture to the public through special wine dinners, cooking demonstrations and dinners with visiting chefs at our restaurants, the response has been overwhelming and the experience enriching. We are now eager to engage our guests more intimately in that discussion.
Stir is our commitment to providing a resource for both food and wine enthusiasts and novices, as well as our colleagues. Each week, cooking demonstrations and classes on wine and spirits offer an opportunity to learn and taste in a convivial environment. Instructors and the curriculum draw from the talents and passions of Chef Barbara Lynch, Wine Director Cat Silirie, and their teams.