Matter House, which includes estela, Café Altro Paradiso and Flora Bar, is seeking a Service & Operations Manager to join our team. In this role, the successful cnadidate will provide active, in-service support and guidance to management teams at each unit and support in the creation and implementation of company systems at new and existing units. This results driven role demands a clear understanding of company standards, strong communication skills and an ability to cultivate strong working relationships with employees at all levels of the company.
The Service and Operations Manager will balance administrative, operational and personnel duties in order to maximize all aspects of restaurant operations. Alongside the Director of Operations, Human Resources and Culinary Director they will develop systems and protocols to improve front of house and service operation, business profitability and employee recruitment, retention and development.
The Service and Operations Manager must be able to build and maintain strong collaborative relationship with all Matter House management in order to be successful. The position reports to the Director of Operations.
The primary responsibilities include:
Service Standards and Execution
- Actively participate in managing each unit’s service in order to drive the quality of service and maintain strong knowledge of systems and service.
- Support and serve management in creating tools and resources to train and develop hourly staff by driving the development and implementation of training materials and hourly job descriptions
Personnel & Performance Management
- Manage hourly recruiting pipeline by regularly engaging applicants and connecting them with on-site department managers
- Assist in development and oversight of systems of recruitment and development for all restaurant positions.
- Ensure restaurant teams have proper onboarding procedures in place and maintain them in accordance with state, federal and company standards. This includes not only paperwork but the introduction of each individual to our spaces and staff
- Collaborate in development and maintenance of standard operating procedures and training programs
Financial & Profitability
- Support teams at each unit to achieve company financial goals. In order to do this you will need to cooperate with GMs, CDCs, Wine Directors and the Events Director.
- Work with Director of Operations and Culinary Director to monitor and manage restaurant expenses.
- Ensure all locations are Department of Health code compliant at all times and operating in such a way that they would earn an “A” upon inspection
- Assist in maintaining proper maintenance of each physical unit
- Support maintenance of permits and service contracts
- Ensure on site staff is attending to general maintenance, equipment maintenance and improvement projects in a timely manner
Events & Community Engagement
- Support efforts to create and carry out catering opportunities from initial engagement and menu development to onsite staffing and execution
- Encourage and maintain guest relationship through outreach and strategic service presence
Matter-house is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment decisions are to be made without regard to race, color, age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, religion, creed, marital status, transgender status partnership status, familial status, national origin/ancestry, alienage or citizenship status, unemployment status, mental or physical disability or medical condition, handicap, military status, veteran’s status, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, status as a victim of sex offenses or stalking, employment status, or any other status protected by federal, state, or local law.
Health Insurance, Dental & Vision options available, PTO, Quarterly and annual bonuses
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of Matter House
Estela is a restaurant in downtown Manhattan from chef Ignacio Mattos. Set one floor above Houston Street, it is a bistro at heart, taking familiar ideas like tartare, ricotta dumplings, burrata on toast, fried rice, and steak, and presenting them in new, satisfying ways. The bar is open late, and you can come in for just a glass and a small bite, should you feel like it. Now in its 5th year, Estela has earned numerous accolades, including a place on the World’s 50 Best Restaurants List and two stars from bothNew York Magazineand the New York Times.