JL RESTAURANT GROUP
DIRECTOR OF HUMAN RESOURCES
JL Restaurant Group, helmed by award winning chef and restaurateur Jamie Leeds, is a collection of locally loved restaurants and bars located in greater Washington, DC’s most iconic neighborhoods. Here at JLRG, we embrace our employees as family, welcome each guest as our neighbor, let food taste as it should, and turn meals into memories. We are currently seeking a seasoned, entrepreneurial minded, cultural leader to head the Human Resources Department of our growing company.
The Director of Human Resources is responsible for the smooth and profitable operation of the company’s human resources department as well as supervise and provide consultation to management on strategic staffing plans, compensation, benefits, training and development, budget, and labor relations. The HR director is also expected to take a leadership role in developing the culture that enables employees to perform in accordance to the company’s objectives.
- Provide leadership, development and support to the HR team.
- Administer, recommend and implement policies and procedures while ensuring legal compliance with federal, state and local laws (FLSA, DOL, EEO, ADA, FMLA/CFRA and others).
- Collaborate with Department Managers to ensure Form I-9 and file compliance.
- Manage Workers' Compensation and unemployment administration including effective case management of Workers' Compensation and unemployment claims to minimize liability and expense exposure. Work in conjunction with the appropriate representative to ensure compliance to Workers' Compensation reporting requirements, transitional duty and return-to-work goals for employees with active Workers' Compensation claims.
- Ensures compliance with COBRA, HIPAA, and ERISA provisions, and files required State and Federal reports
- Carries out responsibilities in benefits, administering and advising employees and management on the interpretation of benefit policies, programs, and procedures
- Oversee development of recruitment plans to ensure sufficient availability of a qualified workforce.
- Ensure consistent compliance with all federal, state and city employment and labor laws.
- Perform timely stay and/or exit interviews, monitor for trends.
Specific Qualifications Required:
- Bachelor's Degree specializing in Human Resources, Communications or Social Sciences, Hospitality Management or related field.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of prior experience in an HR Director capacity
- Relevant Director Level Human Resources and/or management experience in a restaurant or hospitality environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of all applicable federal, state and city employment and labor laws.
- Self-starter with proven analytical and problem-solving skills
- Working knowledge of Deluxe HRIS and Payroll System
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Must possess strong task-management, creativity, verbal and written communication
- Ability to handle confidential information discreetly and protect employee privacy.
Physical activities for this position:
- Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly for long distances or moving from one work site to another.
- Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other employees accurately, loudly, or quickly.
- Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction. Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication.
Physical requirements of this position
- Light work. Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. If the use of arm and/or leg controls requires exertion of forces greater than that for sedentary work and the worker sits most of the time.
Visual acuity requirements including color, depth perception, and field vision.
- Employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading.
This job description is subject to change at any time.
JL Restaurant Group offers competitive compensation and benefits. This is a full time position. Work location is JL Restaurant Corporate offices located in Dupont Circle, Washington, DC.
JL Restaurant Group, is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, status as a parent or protected veteran status.
Seafood, Comfort Food
Part of JL Restaurant Group
ABOUT JAMIE LEEDS
Jamie Leeds is one of Washington’s most highly recognized chefs due to her wildly successful restaurant, Hank’s Oyster Bar; her very active role in the community and her 20 plus years of inspiring culinary experience in New York, prior to moving to DC. In May 2005, she opened her first restaurant as executive chef and owner, the 65-seat Hank’s Oyster Bar, which serves “Urban Beach Food”. Hank’s is named after Leeds’ father, who she credits as her inspiration for becoming a chef. Since its’ opening, Hank’s Oyster Bar has been praised by Gourmet, Bon Appetit, Food & Wine, Southern Living, The Washington Post, Washingtonian, DC magazine, The Washington Times and Fox Morning News.
Leeds came to Washington, D.C. when she joined the Washington Terrace Hotel as executive chef in May 2002, where she launched the 70-seat 15 ria. Her American cuisine with a comfort food twist was an immediate hit at the handsome, new boutique hotel where she was also responsible for developing catering menus. Wine Spectator, The Washington Post, Washingtonian and Bon Appetit were among the publications that praised Chef Leeds for her exceptional fare.
Favorable reviews and a successful launch also earned Jamie Leeds a nomination for “Rising Culinary Star” from the Restaurant Association of Metropolitan Washington’s Capital Restaurant & Hospitality Awards in June 2003. Chef Leeds was also named a “Rising Star Chef” by Starchefs.com for Washington, D.C.’s 2003 awards program, which selected only seven chefs throughout the area for the coveted recognition. In 2006, her new restaurant Hank’s Oyster Bar was nominated for a RAMMY for “Best New Restaurant” by the Restaurant Association of Washington and in 2008, Hank’s won the coveted RAMMY for “Best Neighborhood Restaurant”. In 2012, Hank’s Oyster Bar was nominated again by Restaurant Association of Washington for “Best Casual Restaurant”.