Galit is a Middle Eastern Restaurant in the Lincoln Park neighborhood in Chicago, owned and operated by Chef Zachary Engel and Andrés Clavero. The restaurant is a space for community: hospitality professionals, guests, and suppliers will come together and celebrate food and drink in a respectful, friendly, and caring manner. The menu focuses on a seasonal and localized approach to dishes of the Middle East and Israel’s immigrant cuisines, alongside a unique and forward-thinking beverage program.
Overview: The Line Cook’s role will be to possess exemplary cooking skills and maintain a well-organized station and mise en place. Preparation and execution of dishes and recipes to a high standard is required in conjunction with maintaining cleanliness and safety protocols. The Line Cook is required to set up, maintain, and execute menu items as directed by the Executive Chef and the Sous Chefs (“Chefs). The Line Cook will report to the Chefs and, at times, the General Manager and Managers. Above all, the Line Cook must do all to contribute to a positive work environment as set forth by the culture and values of Galit.
Essential Job Functions:
- Set up, execute, check and maintain menu items on a station as directed by the Chefs in a timely manner and before the beginning of each service
- Communicate promptly and regularly with the Chefs of any product needs related to the dishes on their respective station
- Follow the Chefs’ directions to manage all aspects of your station
- Prep food products according to reservations for shift. Use proper rotation, first in first out, checking for quality, preventing food waste
- Perform correct cooking techniques specific to your station to the highest standard
- Lead the staff in following the standards for food handling according to the Chefs’ specifications
Health & Safety
- Contribute to the general cleanliness of the kitchen and the equipment therein
- Observe good sanitation practices and safety procedures at all times
- Assist the Chefs, from time to time, in managing these practices
- Cultivate and maintain professional relationships with all other employees through a positive and team-driven work effort
- Contribute on a regular basis to employee-led educational forums
- Communicate clearly and professionally with other employees regarding station setup and mise en place and assist the Chefs in managing these practices
- Understand how to use, operate, and care for all kitchen equipment.
- Check out with the supervising chef at the end of each shift to communicate any issues or needs the chef needs to be aware of
- Arrive as scheduled for shifts and all meetings
- Daily duties may also include but are not limited to unpacking and stocking kitchen deliveries, as well as assigned cleaning duties.
- Maintain uniform cleanliness and proper attire at all times without exception
Experience / Skills:
- High school diploma encouraged
- Exemplary knife-skills
- Excellent knowledge of cooking terms, techniques, and recipes
- Ability to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Serve Safe Food Handlers Certificate required
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, and recipes. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or fellow employees.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk, and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit, reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance
Up to $18/hr. 75% Employer Health Care Contribution. Paid Time Off. Annual Cost of Living Adjustments. Dental/Vision plans
Other jobs you might be interested in
Upscale Casual, Fine Dining
Galit is a Middle Eastern Restaurant in the Lincoln Park neighborhood in Chicago, owned and operated by Andrés Clavero and James Beard Award-winning chef Zachary Engel. The restaurant is a space for community: hospitality professionals, guests and suppliers will come together and celebrate food and drink in a respectful, friendly and caring manner. The menu focuses on a seasonal and localized approach to dishes of the Middle East and Israel’s immigrant cuisines, alongside a unique and forward-thinking beverage program. Galit opened on April 2, 2019.