Make a meaningful impact as a Sous Chef at Marta!
Founded by CEO Danny Meyer with the opening of Union Square Cafe in 1985, Union Square Hospitality Group has created some of New York’s most beloved restaurants, cafes, and bars such as Gramercy Tavern, Maialino, The Modern, Marta and Porchlight to name a few! This is a great opportunity to master the art of cooking over open fire, utilizing a state of the art Grillworks Infierno grill and Mugnaini pizza ovens. Additionally, learn to source and cook with local ingredients from Union Square Greenmarket and other local farms.
Located in the Redbury Hotel, Marta features an energetic open kitchen with two wood-burning ovens and an open-fire grill taking center stage. The kitchen creates fresh takes on classic pizza standbys as well as original inventions showcasing seasonal and local ingredients. Marta exudes warmth and communal energy and serves as a central gathering place for its community. Caffe Marchio https://www.caffemarchio.com/ and Vini e Fritti https://www.vinifritti.com/ are the newest restaurants on the 30th Street side of The Redbury New York Hotel from the team behind Marta. Rounding out the property’s loving salute to Roman eateries, these spots offer a transporting taste of the eternal city, from morning to night. Caffe Marchio pays homage to Rome’s stand-up coffee bars, and Vini e Fritti celebrates the culture of the Roman wine bar, coupled with fried snacks.
As a valued member of our team, your compensation will include the following benefits:
- Full Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Paid Time Off to support you in having an active life outside of work
- Paid Parental Leave
- Dining credit and discounts throughout the USHG family of restaurants
- Matched 401(k) to help you invest in your future
- Access to Mentor Programs, Career Development classes, and personalized career advancement support
What You Bring to the Table:
- Commitment to embodying our Family Values of :
- Integrity- Doing the right things always- using sound judgment- even when no one is looking
- Excellence- Doing what needs to be done, as well as it can possibly be done
- Hospitality- Doing all that can be done for others- and more than is expected- in thoughtful ways that let people know you are on their side
- Entrepreneurial Spirit- Seeing opportunities others haven’t-and creating opportunities others wish they’d thought of first
- Minimum of 1-2 years of professional kitchen management experience
- Advanced knife handling skills
- Menu/recipe development
- An understanding of Department of Health Food Safety Standards
- Food cost optimization
- Purveyor/local farmer relationships
- Ablility to lead a team successfully in a culture-driven environment including staff education, family meal, and strong commmunication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred but not required
USHG Benefits Package includes: Paid Time Off, Full Health/Dental/Vision Insurance, Flex Spending, Matched 401 (k), Cellphone Stipend, Employee Dining Program, and more!
Other jobs you might be interested in
1 Employee RecommendationSee Details
Part of Union Square Hospitality Group
The food at Marta is inspired by the tradition of rustic Roman pizzerie, the neighborhood haunts that churn out thin, crackly-crusted pizzas into the late hours of the evening. The restaurant will also celebrate the Italian tradition of cooking alle brace, or over embers, dedicating a section of the menu to daily specials – meats, fish and vegetables – all kissed by the fire. Additionally, no Roman-style pizzeria would be complete without salty fried snacks and a robust offering of seasonal salads. The beverage list will showcase Italian as well as local craft beers, along with thoughtfully selected wines and cocktails. Marta will be open continuously seven days a week, serving breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late night.
We offer medical, dental, vision, 401K, flex pay, life insurance, employee dining program and paid vacation. USHG provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
Follow the career path of Executive Chef and Partner, Nick Anderer: http://culinaryagents.com/career/timeline/nick-anderer