As a boutique full-service caterer, we produce one-of-a-kind experiences with food, beverage, design, and hospitality for corporate and social clients. Occasions operates in the area’s most celebrated venues, institutions, museums and properties and has been recognized as Washington’s premier catering firm for over 30 years.
Occasions has had the pleasure of representing clients such as the National Gallery of Art, the Washington National Opera, the Washington Ballet, the Smithsonian Institution, the United States Department of State, MSNBC, Google, The Washington Post, The White House Historical Association, Facebook, Exxon Mobil, The Trust for the National Mall, and more.
Our work has been featured in The Washington Post, Martha Stewart Living, Martha Stewart Weddings, The Knot, In Style, Town and Country, Washingtonian, Art Culinaire, Food Arts, The Knot Forbes, and several other lifestyle and events publications.
Reporting to the culinary leadership team, the Pastry Cook prepares quality pastries such as breakfast items, desserts, breads, ice creams, sorbets, creams, simple syrups, amenities, mousses, fruit curds, coulis, sauces and composed mini pastries, plated desserts, and buffet items. Assist in complying with all applicable sanitation, health and personal hygiene standards and following established food production programs and procedures. The Pastry Chef is responsible for appropriate use of facility supplies and equipment to minimize loss, waste and fraud.
- Manage the day-to-day Pastry duties and prep list responsibilities. This includes maintaining an appropriate par stock of baked goods, finishing products, and production supplies to ensure efficiency and maximize utilization of productive work hours;
- Follow recipes, methods, and instructions with exact precision to promote uniformity, consistent quality, and expected yields. Measure ingredients and prioritize tasks to streamline daily production and responsibilities;
- Manage the production and inventory of the Pastry Cook station to keep the freshest possible product and to accommodate high volume orders;
- Complete production sheets and daily orders as required on time or early;
- Clean and maintain work areas, utensils and equipment;
- Communicate with Pastry Sous Chef about equipment that needs repair or maintenance, and about any tools or ingredients that need to be ordered for the kitchen;
- Inform of any foreseeable shortages before items run out;
- Detect and communicate with Kitchen Management regarding spoiled or unattractive food;
- Maintain high standards of food service including preparing all food according to food safety laws.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are generally Monday through Friday, 6:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and weekends during very busy periods or as needed.
Required Education and Experience
- Associate degree in Pastry Arts from a recognized institution preferred and or any equivalent combination of related education and experience.
- Two years (2) in baking or pastry role at a high-level catering, food service or hospitality industry experience.
- Plated dessert experience required
If you are interested in this position, submit your resume to [email protected]
Medical, Vision, Dental, 401(k), plus more