Covina is Hiring an Assistant General Manager
Covina is the expression of Tim’s earliest and most important influences on his career as a chef. It is no surprise that his imagination for flavor and food began in the pioneering Los Angeles culinary movement in the early '80s. Covina is a personal manifestation of his earliest mentors and most formative experiences cooking. Covina reflects that early California influence with creative, yet truly comforting dishes. The menu and ambience have a relaxed refinement reminiscent of California’s cooking scene during this defining decade of California Cuisine, since evolved to be called New American cuisine. At its core, Covina is a neighborhood restaurant serving American food and warm hospitality in a comfortably refined setting.
The Assistant General Manager (AGM) will work closely with the General Manager to manage day-to-say service operations of the restaurant. The AGM is responsible for continually defining and refining service at Covina. S/he will assist the General Manager in hiring, training, and managing of all FOH managers and staff. The Assistant General Manager will also manage the floor during service, perform a variety of administrative duties, and work closely with the FOH and BOH management teams to execute the restaurant’s service vision.
- In conjunction with the General Manager, making all day-to-day decisions to maintain quality restaurant operations
- Identifying operational, service, and/or fiscal issues and suggesting corrective action to General Manager.
- Assisting with staffing, training, and development of FOH hourly team, including:
- Oversight of hiring and training of all FOH hourly staff based on standards determined by the General Manager and leadership team
- Oversight of FOH employee training program as determined by GM
- Continual development of FOH employees by establishing performance expectations, providing ongoing feedback, and presenting regular performance reviews
- Assisting with leading the FOH management team in directing staff and enforcing service standards
- In partnership with the GM, oversee all FOH hourly disciplinary action
- Assisting in the heart of house operations, including:
- Well established understanding of the line, prep kitchen, prep sheets and order guides
- In-depth knowledge of allergies, ingredients and recipe preparation
- Assisting with accurate time card management
- Oversight of FOH/HOH communication
- Responsible for weekly staff schedule
- Responsible for minor repairs + maintenance throughout the restaurant
- Responsible for proper cash handling and tip reporting
- Oversee all areas of service including but not limited to:
- Floor management - responsibilities include: frequent decision making and troubleshooting; maintaining proper flow of service (at the door, on the floor, and at the pass); upholding service standards, product quality and cleanliness; continuous communication with kitchen and all FOH staff; guest interaction
- Managing the host team with reservations and reservation system
- Press and VIP service standards and protocol
- Overseeing ordering and ensuring proper stocks of service supplies (paper goods, linens, etc.)
- Cultivating relationships with new and returning guests
- Executing events and private dining
- Supporting Heart of House operations and production of the culinary program
- The FOH lead for:
- All customer service responses and all guest recovery efforts, including but not limited to: online feedback, guest complaints, and immediate service recovery, taking any and all appropriate actions to turn dissatisfied guests into return guests. Investigating and and resolving guest complaints concerning food quality and service
- Holding all managers and staff responsible for knowledge of food and beverage menus, as well as all new and developing offerings
- Assisting the General Manager in defining and executing new restaurant initiatives and service protocols
- Fulfilling our mission to surprise and delight our guests every day!
Skills & Requirements
- 3+ years restaurant management experience in a similar restaurant required
- Exceptional service skills, passion for food and beverage
- Proven ability to effectively manage and mentor employees
- Technical proficiency in restaurant POS, reservation systems, Microsoft Office strongly recommended
- High volume, fast-paced, high profile restaurant experience preferred
- Ability to demonstrate quick thinking and adaptability in a constantly changing environment
- Spanish speaking is a plus
- The physical demands for this position are seeing, hearing, speaking, reaching, lifting up to 50 pounds, sitting, standing, for 5 to 10 hours, bending, and moving intermittently during working hours. These physical requirements may be accomplished with or without reasonable accommodations.
The duties of this position may change from time to time. Covina reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of Covina or its managers. This job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
We offer competitive pay and a comprehensive benefits package, including vision/dental/medical, and gym and commuter discounts and dining discounts at all Cushman Concepts restaurants. We encourage our employees to grow and learn, and offer many opportunities for personal and career development.
Covina is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender (including gender identity or expression), pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual orientation, marital status, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking victim status, ancestry, national origin, alienage or citizenship, age, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, or other protected status.
Comprehensive benefits package available
Comprehensive benefits package available
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of Cushman Concepts
Covina is a New American restaurant with Mediterranean influences in the Park South Hotel on 27th between Park and Lexington. Covina has a Stefano Ferrara pizza oven, showcases handmade pastas and menu items off it's wood fire grill paired with craft cocktails and a thoughtful, fun wine list.
Covina is part of a multi-concept, hospitality focused restaurant group located in New York and Boston. This is an opportunity to join a strong team, led by James Beard Award-Winning Chef Owner Tim Cushman & Nancy Cushman. Chef Tim’s flavor and food philosophies, along with an underlying foundation of consistency, have earned him and his concepts numerous awards.
The Cushman Concepts team prides themselves on the unique culture that has developed over years of hard work and commitment. We have a high level of respect for each other as well as our guests that join us every night. We are looking for someone to complement the team.