Position Summary: Attention to detail and a strong work ethic are required in this position. The line cooks work together with other team members on a daily basis to ensure a flawlessly executed final product. Proficient knife sills and the ability to multi-task are also required. Positional required continuous standing for up to 8 hours per shift or sometimes longer as the business demands.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- With minimal assistance, be able to set up and work stations at an acceptable level.
- With assistance, able to perform prep tasks assigned by the CDC in a timely fashion.
- Always lead by example.
- Prepare food items consistent quality following recipe cards, as well as production, portion and presentation standards; complete required mise en place or prep list in a timely fashion.
- Set up station as required for all scheduled services.
- Be prepared to work private functions, banquets, and off site events.
- Follow manager’s direction in regard to quantity and quality of items prepped.
- Operate, maintain, and properly clean kitchen equipment: this includes the deep fryer, wood grill, wood oven and any other restaurant owned equipment deemed part of your cleaning duties.
- Maintain and clean your required tools.
- Date all food containers and rotate as per policies, making sure that all perishables are kept at proper temperatures; check pars for shift use, determine necessary preparation, freezer pull and line set up; note any out-of-stock items or possible shortages; return all food items not used to designated storage areas, being sure to cover/date all perishables.
- Work harmoniously and professionally with co-workers and supervisors.
- Work efficiently with a constant sense of urgency.
- Prioritize safety above speed. Study and know all safety policies set forth at your location.
- Taste all food at its various stages of preparation, most importantly just before a dish is sent to a guest. When in doubt of quality, ask kitchen manager for assistance and opinion.
- Perform other work related tasks as required.
Minimum Qualifications (Education, Experience, Skills)
- High school education, cooking school or culinary institute education or equivalent experience preferred
- Willingness to work mornings, evenings and weekends as required.
- Serve safe certification required.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The work that restaurant cooks do is both physically and mentally demanding. They are on their feet much of the time. Cooks typically work about forty hours a week. However, because the restaurant serves the public and is open seven days a week, cooks may work longer, irregular hours.
The description of the physical demands and the work environment characteristics here represent those that must be met by staff to successfully perform and those staff encounter while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualifying individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
This position requires staff to work in close quarters with other staff and/or guests which may result in physical, non-sexual contact with other staff and/or guests.
While performing the duties of this job, staff is regularly required to talk or hear in a loud environment. The staff is occasionally required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The staff may frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds or more. Specific sensory abilities required by this job include sight, taste, smell, and hearing
While performing the duties of this job, the staff is occasionally exposed to raw meat, moving mechanical parts, airborne particles, hazardous materials, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is moderate to loud.
employer contribution to medical, voluntary dental/vision/life/short term disability, paid sick leave, dining discount, employer contribution to 401K
Other jobs you might be interested in
Part of One Off Hospitality Group
BIG STAR is a whiskey, tequila, cocktail, and beer-focused venue located in the heart of Wicker Park, Chicago. Executive Chef Paul Kahan and Chef de Cuisine Julie Warpinski have crafted an eclectic menu inspired by Mexican street food in a space reminiscent of a California honky tonk. The food, liquor and cocktail programs change continuously to complement the seasons, and always features six beers on tap, and an ever-growing selection of our house-selected single barrel bourbons and whiskeys, picked by staff members at distilleries in Kentucky.