Cemitas Puebla, located in the West Loop is now looking for a full time line cook and prep cook! The history, culture and traditions of Puebla, Mexico serve as an endless source of inspiration at Cemitas Puebla, defining the restaurants approach to a cuisine characterized by authentic and vibrant flavors. We bring the story of Puebla to life through our food.
Position Summary: Cemitas is looking for an individual who is passionate about cuisine. Attention to detail and a strong work ethic are required in this position. The line and prep cooks work together with other team members on a daily basis to ensure a flawlessly executed final product. Ideal candidate must be able to work AM shifts and have at least 2 years of experience. You must be reliable and have a strong work ethic, bilingual in Spanish and English preferred.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- With minimal assistance, be able to set up and work multiple stations at an acceptable level.
- With assistance, able to perform prep tasks assigned by the chef in a timely fashion.
- Always lead by example.
- Prepare food items consistent quality following recipe cards, as well as production, portion and presentation standards; complete required mise en place or prep list in a timely fashion.
- Set up station as required for all scheduled services.
- Be prepared to work off site events.
- Follow manager’s direction in regard to quantity and quality of items prepped.
- Operate, maintain, and properly clean kitchen equipment: this includes the deep fryer and any other restaurant owned equipment deemed part of your cleaning duties.
- Maintain and clean your required tools.
- Date all food containers and rotate as per policies, making sure that all perishables are kept at proper temperatures; check pars for shift use, determine necessary preparation, freezer pull and line set up; note any out-of-stock items or possible shortages; return all food items not used to designated storage areas, being sure to cover/date all perishables.
- Work harmoniously and professionally with co-workers and supervisors.
- Work efficiently with a constant sense of urgency.
- Prioritize safety above speed. Study and know all safety policies set forth at your location.
- Taste all food at its various stages of preparation, most importantly just before a dish is sent to a guest. When in doubt of quality, ask kitchen manager for assistance and opinion.
- Perform other work related tasks as required.
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- 1 year culinary experience in restaurant
- Basic understanding of kitchen operations and culinary ingredients
- Demonstrate clear written and verbal communication skills
- Able to work in a team environment and welcome feedback and direction
- Capability to stand for prolonged periods of time
- Lift up to 50 pounds of weight
- Ability to reach, bend, stoop, climb up and down stairs, walk, carry multiple objects
- Ability to work in an environment with hot and cold condition.
- Working with seasonal ingredients for the preparation of menu items
- Assisting the BOH team with all preparation and organization in the kitchen
- Maintaining cleanliness of any BOH work areas, including and not limited to refrigeration, cooking equipment, and prep areas
- Participate in deep cleaning of BOH work areas, including and not limited to refrigeration, cooking equipment, and prep areas
- Honing existing skills while learning new techniques
Skills & Requirements
- 1+year of related experience
- Comfortable working in a fast paced and high energy environment
- A passion for food, exceptional work ethic and dedication
- Able to take constructive criticism, learn quickly and constantly improve
- High volume restaurant experience preferred
- Must be flexible in hours and days available to work
- The physical demands for this position are seeing, hearing, speaking, reaching, frequently lifting up to 25 pounds, occasionally lifting up to 50 pounds, sitting, standing, for 4 to 8 hours, bending, and moving intermittently during working hours. These physical requirements may be accomplished with or without reasonable accommodations.
- The duties of this position may change from time to time. Cemitas reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of its managers. This job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Food Handlers Certificate
Food Safety Knowledge
General knife handling