Join the team at Bittersweet Pastry Shop!
Bittersweet Pastry Shop is Chicago’s premier pastry shop known for our amazing wedding and celebration cakes. We believe in tradition and doing things the right way every time. Our Lakeview shop is known far and wide.
At Bittersweet, we have some simple core values: spread joy, eat well and celebrate every day.
We are looking for an experienced, passionate, talented cake decorator ready to take charge and continue the excellent quality work for which Bittersweet is known.
- Apply your skills to finish and decorate a range of cakes from tiered wedding cakes to 3D celebration cakes and everything in between
- Organize production by preparing weekly lists of custom gumpaste, creating schedules and maintaining inventory
- Craft custom gumpaste decorations to order
- Maintain consistent and proactive communication with sales personnel to ensure accurate design specifications, including attending weekly meetings, creating reference sketches and providing design and pricing feedback
- Communicate effectively and respectfully with all team members, both front and back of the house
- Develop and create custom cake designs for marketing and sales
- Guide and motivate assistants to work efficiently and produce high-quality items
- Identify staffing needs and help recruit and train personnel when required
- Maintain a clean and orderly station
- Have proven experience as an accomplished cake decorator
- Have the ability to handle stress and pressure
- Work with sense of urgency
- Possess great attention to detail and creativity
- Value continued professional education
- Demonstrate organization, communication and leadership skills
- Demonstrate willingness to maintain a clean, healthy, and safe working environment
- Have general knowledge of sanitation principles, food preparation and baking techniques
- Have a current Chicago Food Handler’s License or Food Manager Certificate
- Have the ability to work 10 hour shifts while standing
- Have the ability to lift up to 50 lbs
- Have the ability to bend, crawl, kneel, reach, stoop, etc
Health insurance, vacation, complimentary meal while working, employee discount
Other jobs you might be interested in
Bakery / Patisserie, Cafe
Bittersweet Pastry Shop has established itself at one of Chicago's premier European-inspired pastry shop and cafe. Chef Mindy Gohr's tutelage under Bittersweet founder, James Beard-nominated chef, Judy Contino, has made her the perfect person to run the "second generation" of this outstanding institution. Mindy has created a wedding cake program at Bittersweet that prides itself on quality, flavor and design. Her cinnamon rolls have been named Best in Chicago. Bittersweet has loyal customers dating back 25 years and is constantly gaining new fans thanks to our convenient location in Lakeview.