Celebrated New York institution with an international reputation is in need of a full-time host at our Lower East Side cafe.
Qualified candidates will have:
- A friendly, warm and hospitable demeanor.
- The ability the think on their feet and make judgment calls in the moment.
- Confidence to handle a crowd and stay cool under pressure.
- Excellent communication and customer service instincts.
- Enthusiasm for the food, history, and culture of the Lower East Side.
- Flexible availability for days, evenings, and weekends.
Previous experience hosting in a high-volume New York City restaurant is preferred, but not required.
Host responsibilities include:
- Greet all guests as they enter the cafe
- Use Reserve iPad app to take names and phone numbers for the waitlist, explain the waitlist process to guests
- Estimate wait times for tables (Wait can be up to 2 hours on weekends with potentially 50 names in the list at a time)
- Lead guests to their tables
- Communicate with management about VIP guests, and any other guests who need our attention for any reason
- Answer the phone and provide basic information about the cafe
Compensation for this position is hourly and not tipped. Flexible availability for weekday mornings, evenings, and weekends is required.
Please respond with your resume in the body of an e-mail and include a brief statement about why you would like to be part of the Russ & Daughters family.
Russ & Daughters Cafe, FourthGen LLC, is an Equal Opportunity Employer.About Russ & Daughters Cafe:
Russ & Daughters Cafe opened in 2014, on the 100th anniversary of Russ & Daughters -- the world-famous appetizing store and New York City institution. After a century in which generations of customers patiently waited in line at the store; it was time to give everyone a place to sit down.
Developed, owned, and led by Josh Russ Tupper and Niki Russ Federman, the 4th generation of the Russ family, the Russ & Daughters Cafe takes the appetizing classics for which Russ & Daughters is famous and presents them in a beautiful setting that evokes Russ & Daughters' timeless appeal, history, and haimishness. "Haimish" is a Yiddish word that suggests warmth, comfort, authenticity, conviviality, and lack of pretense. Haimishness is the essence of the Russ & Daughters experience.
At Russ & Daughters Cafe, expert smoked salmon slicers work their craft in front of guests; an open kitchen provides an over-the-counter connection like one feels in the store; a soda fountain bar beckons with homemade sodas, egg creams, shrubs, and superb cocktails; friendly staff proudly wear the iconic white Russ & Daughters lab coats; and 103 years of living history permeates throughout the entire space.
The timeless appeal of the Russ & Daughters Cafe makes it a perfect spot any time of day: whether it's for a light nosh, brunch, lunch, cocktails, dinner, or a special occasion. You will be part of the mishpocha (family) -- whether you have been a regular in the shop for 70 years or if you are a first time visitor.
Experience in a High Volume Environment
Other jobs you might be interested in
Cafe, Casual Dining