We are currently seeking an experienced Executive Chef to join the team at Wolfgang Puck Steak restaurant inside MGM Grand Detroit.
The Key Ingredient Is Our People! We are always looking for bright, energetic, hospitable, talented people who share our passion for creative food and artful hospitality. We'd love to hear from you!
The Wolfgang Puck Fine Dining Group has established our restaurants with the objectives of providing a unique cuisine paired with a special ambience in order to create a memorable fine dining experience for our guests. Our restaurants are part of our continuous effort to offer superlative quality and the highest level of gracious and courteous guest service. To perform successfully, our employees must not only have the qualifications and abilities to perform each of the essential functions of this position, but also must continually strive to meet or surpass The Wolfgang Puck Fine Dining Group's objectives and exacting standards.
Job Summary:It is the primary responsibility of the Executive Chef to oversee all culinary operations, including menu development, food purchase specifications and recipes. All duties are to be performed in accordance with Wolfgang Puck Fine Dining standards, policies, practices and procedures.
Essential Job Functions:
- Ensures proper staffing for maximum productivity and high standards of quality; controls food and payroll costs to achieve maximum profitability.
- Prepares necessary data for applicable parts of the budget; projects annual food, labor and other costs and monitors actual financial results; takes corrective action as necessary to help assure that financial goals are met.
- Directly responsible for operational control of purchasing, receiving, purveyor lists, and inventory of all kitchen items.
- Directly responsible for restaurant menu development, production schemes, and menu engineering.
- Provides management and support of all kitchen employees ensuring proper scheduling and vacation planning.
- Maintains high customer satisfaction and adheres to the Wolfgang Puck philosophy and brand standard of innovative menu changes and development.
- Establishes measurable goals and objectives that focus on profit, product and people.
- Ensures kitchen and employees meet both state and departmental requirements concerning sanitation and personal hygiene.
- In conjunction with F&B management team, assist in maintaining a high level of service principles in accordance with established standards and principles.
- Ensures that all hiring practices, employee disciplinary actions, and expectations of employees are in accordance with the Federal, state and local laws as well as the Culinary Union.
- Ensures that employees have all required certification validated, i.e., health card
- Coaches and provides leadership to all the staff of the kitchen, either directly or through the Executive Sous Chef, ensuring the training and development of staff, providing input for performance, appraisals, and disciplinary action, within the values and standards of Wolfgang Puck and Bellagio.
- Ensures kitchen equipment is properly maintained and functioning.
- Actively interacts with guests and consistently coaches’ staff on guest relations skills. Frequently visits dining area when it is open to welcome guest.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested
Supervisory Responsibilities:Directly supervises the kitchen staff and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Wolfgang Puck Fine Dining policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding; discipline employees in conjunction with Human resources, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Qualifications:To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Culinary degree or college or university; and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have minimum 5 years of similar Food and Beverage experience
- Minimum 5 years technical food production experience in fine dining operation
- Well-rounded food background with extensive knowledge of all kitchen equipment
- Technical experience and demonstrated proficiency in Butchery, Garde Manger and Pastry
- Proficient in computer applications and software
- Formal culinary training preferred
- Proven track record of cost control including food, equipment, labor and waste
- Proficient knowledge of knives, knife skills and small wares equipment
- Must have a working knowledge of health, safety and sanitation procedures
- Must have a professional appearance and demeanor
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Excellent verbal, written communication and math analyzation skills
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence
- Confident and effective operational and motivational speaking skills
- Ability to calculate and apply figures and amounts in recipe and labor costing and control.
- Ability to follow delegation while providing technical and management troubleshooting and problem solving techniques
- Demonstrated operational logical: multi-unit prioritization skills
- Strong interpersonal staff relations and leadership skills
- Ability to provide consistent food quality
- Excellent conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrates knowledge of current restaurant industry trends
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Fine Dining, Restaurant Group
Located in the MGM Grand Detroit, Wolfgang Puck Steak is a concept created exclusively for this location. The contemporary steak restaurant offers classic steakhouse dishes in Wolfgang’s signature style. The menu features an assortment of grilled steaks and meats, shellfish and fresh fish, plus a selection of sauces and side dishes. The dynamic beverage program features an international wine list plus artisan, custom-crafted cocktails, as well as an exclusive, in-house barrel-aged whiskey created by Two James Spirits in partnership with MGM Grand Detroit and Wolfgang Puck Steak. The new make of rye whiskey is served right out of the barrel from a tableside cart created by Taru Lahti, a Detroit-based designer.