Established in 1879 to uphold the sacred obligations of citizenship, to promote honesty and efficiency in government, and to support cultural institutions and the beautification of the city, th... Read more
Established in 1879 to uphold the sacred obligations of citizenship, to promote honesty and efficiency in government, and to support cultural institutions and the beautification of the city, the Club has been a contributing partner in the growth and development of Chicago. Through the efforts of its membership, the Club is a catalyst for action in the political, economic and social arenas—focusing its leadership and resources on important social issues.
This commitment to community is seen in many ways. As early as 1893, Chicago gained recognition as a world-class city when it hosted the World Columbian Exposition. Club members were instrumental in having Chicago named as the site for the Exposition by the United States Congress. In the 1990s, the Club celebrated its role in the opening of the Harold Washington Library Center—the largest circulating library in the world and the largest municipal building in North America.
In addition to our Club's motto, "commitment to country and community," our 24-story clubhouse provides a haven for its members and their guests. Located in the heart of Chicago's downtown financial district, the clubhouse is composed of guestrooms and suites, conference rooms, ballrooms, formal and informal dining rooms and lounges, a library, state-of-the-art health and fitness center, and a swimming pool. The Club has also amassed one of the nation's largest privately held art collections.
Special activities and exclusive cultural events are planned for members to meet, socialize and be entertained, enriched and informed. Theater outings, chamber music concerts and travel opportunities are just some of the activities members enjoy.